Semana Nautica 15K
NOTE NEW 2016 START & FINISH: The race will start and finish at Hollister Elementary School (4950 Anita Ln, Santa Barbara, CA 93111). Limited parking will be available at the school.
Join us for Santa Barbara’s classic road race on America’s birthday! The 62nd edition of the nation’s longest running 15K tradition (and second oldest race on the west coast!) will be run once again on Fourth of July. The event features the 15K and will once again include the family friendly 4K run/walk! The 15K is a SBAA Grand Prix event and also serves as the USATF SCA 15K Championship. The 4K is a SBAA Junior Grand Prix event.
Put together your best red, white and blue running outfit and join your fellow runners for the Semana Nautica. Organized by your Santa Barbara Athletic Association, the Semana Nautica is one Santa Barbara tradition that gets better with time. The flat and fast 15K course starts and finishes at Hollister Elementary School (4950 Anita Ln, Santa Barbara, CA 93111), traversing the Obern Trail Bike Path toward Goleta Beach. As we celebrate America’s Birthday, this course will allow you to cheer one another on throughout the 15K course!
SBAA events benefit the greater running community, school and club running programs throughout Santa Barbara County. Since 2009, over $124,000 has been donated to our community.
Semana Nautica Events
- • 15K (9.3 Miles) Run or Walk
- • 4K (2.5 Miles) Run or Walk
Race Location & Times
- • Location: Hollister Elementary School (4950 Anita Ln, Santa Barbara, CA 93111).
- • Start times are as follows:
- 7:00AM : Day of Registration & Packet pickup opens at Hollister Elementary School
- 7:30AM: 15K walk start
- 8:15AM: 15K run start
- 8:30AM: 4K run and walk start
- 9:00AM: Finish Line Festivities begin
Fees include a special Semana Nautica t-shirt, snacks & drinks on race day.
- • 15K & 4K: Register by Sunday, June 19 for $35 and to guarantee your t-shirt. Race day registration is available for $40 with shirts available on a first-come, first-serve basis. SBAA members are eligible for a $5 discount.
- • 17 & Under participants are FREE! Your discount will be applied during registration based on your age on race day (July 4, 2016).
Day-of-Registration & Packet Pick Up
Race materials can be picked up at Hollister Elementary School on July 4th from 7am until the start of the race.
2016 Course (FINAL – UPDATED June 28)
The history of the Semana Nautica 15K goes back to 1955 when local running legend Gordon McClenathen won in 52:46.6. From 1968 to 1982 national running legend Gary Tuttle won six times setting a still standing event record of 45:14 in ’82. From 1974 to 1976 Jacqueline Hansen, who was also the 1973 Boston Marathon champion, became the first three-time women’s champion. In 1986 Debra Sharp set the women’s record of 55:00, which was equaled in 2003 by U.S. Olympian and National Champion Linda Somers-Smith.
Our 2016 USATF Southern California 15K Championship course is flat & fast to match the efforts of past event legends and earn your own new personal best! As we celebrate America’s Birthday this year’s course will also allow you to cheer each other on at various points on the course in addition to our dedicated cheer zone water station (Mile 1, 4 & 8)! The 4K will follow the first 2K of the 15K distance, turning around at the Maria Ygnacio Route turnoff.
- • Runners will start at Hollister Elementary School
- • You will then proceed on Burtis Ave. to San Marcos Rd where you’ll enter the Obern Trail Bike Path and turn right.
- • Just past the first Mile you will make a right on the Maria Ygnacio Route bike path (Water Stop) for a three mile out and back.
- • After returning to the Obern Trail Bike Path (Water Stop) you will make a right and head toward Goleta Beach.
- • At Goleta Beach you will turn around just prior to UCSB where you can now focus on setting your 15K personal best on a fast, final 5K. There will be one final Water Stop at Mile 8.
- • Runners will then make a left on San Marcos Rd. off of the Obern Trail Bike Path and head toward the Hollister Elementary School finish! Congrats, you did it!
SBAA Grand Prix
The 15K run is a SBAA Grand Prix event for 2016. Compete against fellow runners throughout the year in Santa Barbara’s best races! Sign up for the SBAA at https://sbrunning.org/sbaa-membership/ and the 2016 Grand Prix at: https://sbrunning.org/sbaa-additional-options/. The family friendly 4K is part of the SBAA Junior Grand Prix.
USATF Southern California Grand Prix
The Top-5 adult men and Top-5 adult women with highest individual year-end total scores, based upon the individual’s best 5 age-graded scores in Grand Prix-scored races, will be awarded the following cash prizes:
> 1ST Place: $500
> 2ND Place: $250
> 3RD Place: $150
> 4TH Place: $ 75
> 5TH Place: $ 25
> 6TH-10TH Places: Honorable Mention
In addition to the current format of season total points of each club’s highest 5 age-graded scores for all GP races, there is a plan for season total age-graded points awards for:
> Men and Women – open 1st $300 2nd $150; (5 runners per race required for scoring)
> Men and Women 40 – 49 1st $300 2nd $150; (5 runners per race required for scoring)
> Men and Women 50 – 59 1st $200 2nd $100; (4 runners per race required for scoring)
> Men and Women 60 and up 1st $150 2nd $75. (3 runners per race required for scoring)
SCA-USATF membership is required for cash awards. Cash prizes will be awarded in the form of checks issued recipients only after the results have been compiled and the required IRS tax reporting forms have been collected award-winning athlete’s completed tax reporting form on file, the athlete must email a completed tax form to email@example.com. To learn more about USATF Southern California please visit: http://www.scausatf.org/.
THANK YOU EVENT SPONSORS & PARTNERS!